Wisdom of the Month
“The opinion which gives to the judges the right to decide what laws are constitutional and what not, not only for themselves, in their, own sphere of action, but for the Legislature and Executive also in their spheres, would make the Judiciary a despotic branch.” —Thomas Jefferson 1804
“Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American…[T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.” Tench Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette February 20, 1788
Items of Interest
- U.S. Constitution Connections - Dr. Walter Williams
- Books Promoting Economic Understanding pp16-18
- 2017 Bradley Prize Winners
- Black Fathers Matter
- The Real Adam Smith - Morality and Markets
- Dear Future Professor, my letter published by the National Association of Scholars
- Three Reasons Why a $15 Minimum Wage Is a Bad Idea
- In Depth with Walter Williams- 3-hour interview on C-Span November 1, 2015
- Book Discussion on American Contempt for Liberty - C-Span June 24, 2015
- Is Capitalism Moral
- American Contempt for Liberty Selected collection of my weekly syndicated columns.
- Profit Prager University five-minute video
- Walter Williams at FEE
- Suffer No Fools based on Up From The Projects: An Autobiography that aired on PBS stations winter/spring (2015)
- President Herbert Hoover and the Great Depression
- George Gilder, “Why Capitalism Works.”
- Walter E. Williams Videos Over The Years
- Downsizing the Federal Government
- Questions & Answers with Brian Lamb
- “Learning simple lessons about Liberty and Economics”
- Friedrich von Hayek “The Pretence of Knowledge” This highly readable essay explains the foolhardiness of economic planning.
- Economic Freedom
- John Stossel’s show, “The State Against Blacks”- featuring Walter E. Williams Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
- 2003 Toast to Walter E. Williams Runtime: 1.5 hours
- Up From the Projects Walter E. Williams slays myths in an interview with Nick Gillespie in this Reason.tv video.
- The State Against Blacks Dr. Williams is celebrated in this WSJ Interview by Jason Riley
- How Much Can Discrimination Explain? A Young Walter E. Williams asks: How Much Can Discrimination Explain? (53 min).
- “Good Intentions.” Walter Williams, 1985 PBS documentary. Examines the failure of the war on poverty and the devastating effect of well meaning government policies.
- “State Against Blacks.” Walter Williams, 1985 PBS documentary. Another examination of well-meaning government policies.. (Parts I, II, III, IV, V and VI).
- Great Myths of the Great Depression
- Economics for the Citizen